This Service has been brought to
The first record of private ownership of this tract of land, that is known
as Concord Cemetery was a patent by the U.S. Government giving a title to
John R. McMahen in November 1889. There is also a record of a deed
from John R. McMahen to the directors of school district No. 7 and
successors for nine acres of land to be used for school and cemetery.
Apparently there was some legal dispute, because the title was dated
October, 1888, thirteen months before Mr. McMahen had title to the land.
In March 1901, Mr. Jones, F. Cottman and wife, Maggie J. Cottman deeded
the same nine acres to school district No. 7 and their successors.
About 1945, school district No. 7 was consolidated with Mena, Arkansas school district. There were plans to sell the nine acres, mentioned above, to an individual. This caused the Ink Community to raise enough money to purchase the nine acres from the Mena School District, who gave the deed to the Concord Cemetery Association, which stipulated that if the property should ever cease being used as a cemetery and other community purposes, title would revert to the Mena School District.
Although no one remembers the name or date of the first burial on this land, there is one story that has been told most often through the years. A small child of a family who was traveling through this area, died while the family was camped at a nearby spring. The child was buried on a hill, in a grove of trees. The land was public domain at that time.
The earliest named grave in this cemetery is that of Samuel C. Lambert 1870-1878. The Lamberts buried here are said to be the descendents of W. L. and Sophia (Ward) Lambert. Some of the family is still living in Polk County.
In this cemetery are two brick enclosures which have been partially destroyed by time and weather. One of these is probably the grave of Dr. Joshua Cross who died about 1880. No information was found on the other enclosure.
Dr. Cross practiced medicine in eastern Polk and western Montgomery counties. He was the father of Solon Cross, Anne Cross and Susan Cross Parrish Chambers. Anne Cross Harris (Mrs. G. L.) was the first postmistress of Ink, Arkansas. Susan was trained by Dr. Cross to assist him as his nurse. Later she became a licensed midwife and is said to have helped in delivering five hundred and eighty babies.
One of the most outstanding markers is the one constructed over the grave of James C. Anderson, by his sons. It is a pyramid-like structure of stones and is located just to the right of the east entrance.
One grave is that of Charlie Kirkland. He was a deputy who was killed "in the line of duty". Also, the graves of two men who were murdered are in this cemetery.
There are about 350 unnamed graves, most of which have been marked with native stones. Although, there appears to be space for about 200 more, there are no visible signs of any other graves.
Cole, Argle (89) -
5/20/1912 - Ink, AR -
2/26/2002 - Ft. Smith, AR
Source: Mena Star 3/7/2002
|Please visit the Polk County Library. There is a genealogy section at the library. Or, check www.FindaGrave.com as the Polk County Genealogy Society (Mary L Broderick) is attempting to put all of this information on the FindAGrave site along with the Markers for the Graves. It is a massive undertaking.|
This Community Web
Site, www.VisionMena.com has been
brought to you by
|Vision Mena has over 3,000 Pages on its web site. We highly recommend if you are searching for a specific page that you use the link below: "Quick Link".|
|Quick Link (Site Maps)|
|Cemetery Input Form|
|Clem Miller Cemetery|
|Real Estate Information|
|Real Estate for Sale|
|Real Estate for Rent|
|Retiring in Mena|
|Buyer & Seller Guide|
|Contact Vision Realty|
Our Vision is Your Vision!
500 Mena St.
Mena, AR 71953
|Community Links Site Map|
|City & County Government|
|Trade Area of Mena Arkansas|
|Arkansas Information Directory|
|All About Mena|
|Clubs & Organizations|
|Special Events Calendar|
|Ask ?'s & Add Info|